The mission of the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Office of Health Equity, Education, and Advocacy is to reduce the burden of cancer, promote cancer health equity, and inform, apply, and enhance Hillman scientific research by establishing results-driven strategic partnerships with health promotion and advocacy organizations throughout western Pennsylvania.
Our outreach program provides community groups with knowledgeable speakers, written materials, and multi-media tools that address cancer prevention, treatment, and survivorship. Examples of topics covered include lifestyle changes that decrease risk of disease and disease recurrence, and early cancer warning signs and recommended screening guidelines. We also strive to educate the community on the advances that UPMC Hillman is making in basic, clinical, and population science research, including evidence-based information on environmental exposures and cancer risk, and to foster interest in clinical trial participation. Through these important interactions, we are able to solicit feedback on unmet cancer-related needs in our surrounding area, including those specific to medically underserved populations, and communicate these needs back to UPMC Hillman leadership and investigators, the UPMC Office of Government Relations, and the Pennsylvania Department of Health.
The UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Office of Health Equity, Education, and Advocacy is working to reduce cancer health disparities by:
- Collaborating with organizations that are focused on medically underserved populations to build trust
- Navigating individuals through the UPMC health care system
- Identifying and removing barriers to care
- Ensuring access to full diagnostic work up, appropriate treatment, and support services
Furthermore, in order to inform, apply, and enhance UPMC Hillman cancer research, our advocacy efforts aim to:
- Identify common and population-specific priorities
- Increase the patient-centeredness of planned research projects
- Identify and address non-scientific concerns and barriers to research
- Increase accrual to clinical trials and behavioral studies
- Stimulate donations and foundation-based research grants
Office of Health Equity, Education, and Advocacy Leadership
Monica L. Baskin, PhD
Associate Director of Community Outreach
Associate Director of Health Equity
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
Learn more about cancer prevention and early detection services offered through UPMC Hillman Cancer Center.