Prior to submitting your proposal involving cancer patients to the University of Pittsburgh Institutional Review Board (IRB)/PittPRO, you must submit it to and receive approval from the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Protocol Review Committee/Protocol Review and Monitoring System (Hillman PRC/PRMS).
- The Hillman PRC/PRMS meets twice per month to review new interventional proposals. The schedule of meetings is available here.
- Complete a PRC/PRMS Checklist Form and CTMA# form (either therapeutic or non-therapeutic/exempt) to submit with your new study.
- Your proposal should include the following:
- Completed PRC/PRMS checklist
- Full, complete protocol and appendices
- Summary or synopsis of protocol (optional)
- Informed Consent form(s) (institution or sponsor’s consent forms)
- Investigational drug brochure
- Investigator-initiated study, including biostatistical approval
- Submit all documents electronically to:
Brandon Kaukus, BS
Sr. Research & Risk Mgmt Review Specialist
Clinical Protocol and Data Management (CPDM)
UPMC Cancer Pavilion
5150 Centre Avenue, Suite 301
Pittsburgh, PA 15232-1305
- Results of the Hillman PRC/PRMS review will be sent to you approximately one week after the scheduled meeting.
- A flowchart of procedures for review of PRC comments available for viewing, or can be downloaded as a PDF.
The committee may request additional information or clarifications to questions generated at the meeting. Please provide a prompt response to the committee’s comments so that your proposal can be approved quickly. Approval will not be granted until all questions/clarifications have been addressed and the committee has accepted the responses. Electronic submissions are preferred.
Protocols do not require an annual review by the Hillman PRC/PRMS unless there are significant modifications to the study design.