Why Apply to UPMC Radiation Oncology?
Comprehensive Clinical Training
- Extensive SRS and SBRT experience
- Strong brachytherapy experience with leaders in gynecologic and prostate brachytherapy
- Gamma Knife experience with “founding Father” of technology
- Pediatric rotation within 4 miles of main site
- SRS capabilities at UPMC Shadyside, UPMC Magee-Womens’ Hospital, and UPMC St. Margaret
- Latest Varian linear accelerators including Halcyon & Truebeam
Strong Didactic Program
- Radiation Biologist within the department leads annual course
- Physics staff leading annual course
- Socratic teaching of evidence-based medicine.
- 3 weekly interactions with faculty members on disease-site specific learning
- Weekly tumor boards on all rotations
- Visiting faculty 3 times per year
- Clinical research with multiple mentors
- Basic science research with multiple labs
- Fully-supported attendance to conferences for accepted projects
- No financial or days away limit
- Residency program supports resident attendance at an average of 6 conferences per year.
- 9 months dedicated time during PGY 4 for research activities with no clinical responsibilities.
- 8 residents
- 5, 10-11 week rotations per year
- Call is pyramid: PGY2 -5: 12/8/5/3
- Equally marketable to Academic and Private Practice
- All past residents have had employment secured prior to graduation
- Faculty members and alumni network are active in assisting residents in making connections
- Learn more about our past residents
- GME Benefits and Salary structure
- Free parking at all rotation sites
- Financial support and days away from the clinic to attend academic conferences with accepted projects
- Therapy dog at UPMC St. Margaret
- Access to some University of Pittsburgh facilities, including fitness centers
- Discounts on variety of services, merchandise, and experiences
- Generous Educational Funds for ABR dues and/or books.
- Subscription to RadOnc Questions for 5 years
- Raphex, Rabex, and attendance at prep or refresher course